Committed to Equality
The Equality Act 2010 requires schools to fulfil the following general duties:
- To eliminate discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct that is prohibited by or under this act.
- To advance equality of opportunity between persons who share a relevant protected characteristic and persons who do not share it.
- To foster good relations between persons who share relevant protected characteristic and persons who do not share it.
Our vision for Equality and Diversity
At Newchurch Primary School, we are committed to fulfilling these duties. Our aim is to provide education for all and acknowledge that the society within which we live is enriched by diversity. We will strive to ensure that the culture and ethos of the school reflects and celebrates the diversity of all members of the school and its wider community. In accordance with our Mission Statement, we pledge to 'give every child a flying start by working in partnership with parents, staff and the community to develop well-rounded citizens who will contribute in a positive way to society.'
Pupils and other members of the school community will be provided with the opportunity to experience, understand and celebrate diversity. We will therefore seek to ensure that everyone is equally valued and treats one another with respect and fairness. We will proactively seek to review and restructure the cultures, policies and practices in school to ensure that we comply with relevant legislation in relation to race equality, disability equality, sexual orientation and gender equality. We will promote community cohesion at school so that our children are welcoming and responsive to the full diversity of people locally, nationally and globally.
Other documents available in relation to this include:
- Single Equality Policy - available below and in school on request
- Accessibility Policy and Plan
- Equality Scheme including summary of data and equality objectives available below (Full version of data is available in school, on request)